I'm such a geek sometimes.

Yep. I'm such a geek. I've named my computer Lucy. Great name I think. It's a reference to the movie Hackers, where one of the characters (Joey) has a computer he calls Lucy. It's great 'cause Joey was a script-kiddie of sorts, "hackin' across state lines". Next, I've ordered a wireless keyboard/mouse combo and a 256mb USB key. Can't wait to be in another room typing. Two more geeky things; I've downloaded more nerdcore/geek rap. Yes I know, it's sad, but damnit I actually understand the lyrics. Instead of rapping about things I've never done (blunts, bitches and 40s), they rap about things I get (athlon xp, spam, programming, etc). The final thing is: my project is on sourceforge and already has 50 downloads! Amazing! This project will be completed because it's required for another project. Ok, enough about that. Time to rant a bit.

I hate it how a lot of people are using the word geek. "omg! i'm such a geek! omg! so emo!" Friggin annoying when they aren't geeks. It's really misleading damnit. I want to know real geeks, not people thinking they're geeks because they sounded intelligent while their friends were hammered beyond belief.
    Choice Definitions of a Geek (thanks to Google's define):
  • An intellectual who is bent on a particular profession; especially within the computer field. Social interests are deeply rooted in Sci-Fi. link
  • Traditionally a term of derision, geek has come to have a more positive connotation in this computer age. Technically adept people now frequently refer to themselves as geeks, in a mixture of self-deprecation and pride. link
  • To quote from The New Hacker’s Dictionary, a computer geek is “one who eats (computer) bugs for a living. One who fulfills all the dreariest negative stereotypes about hackers: an asocial, malodorous, pasty-faced monomaniac with all the personality of a cheese grater. Cannot be used by outsiders without implied insult to all hackers. A computer geek may be either a fundamentally clueless individual or a proto-hacker in larval stage. Also called ‘turbo nerd’ or ‘turbo geek. ... link
  • The sort of person who would get really excited at the prospect of using a text editor on a 900 megahertz workstation to write out the definitions of technical terms. link
I like that last one, heh. Anyway, people! Get the definition right! Argh!
Good night now.

No comments:

Post a Comment